Construction of Georgian houses at Merrion Square began in 1762. A fashionable address for the aristocracy, the park was purchased in 1930 as a site for a cathedral. The project never materialized and in 1974, it was transferred to the city for public use.
The park includes sculptures, the Rutland Memorial, a collection of old Dublin Lamp posts, a floral garden, heather garden, playground and coffee stand.
Around the park are notable attractions including the National Gallery, and the National Museum of Natural History.
Open: Open year round.
By Bus: Take bus numbers 4, 7, 7n, 25, 25a, 25b, 26, 44, 66, 66a, 66b or 67
By Luas (tram): Take the Luas Green Line to St. Stephen’s Green
By Dart (rail): Take the Dart to Pearse Station