Killruddery, gateway to the Garden of Ireland and located on Dublin’s doorstep, is home to the Earls of Meath since 1618 and is currently the home of the 15th Earl of Meath. Remodelling of Killruddery House was commissioned in the 1820s by the 10th Earl and designed by Richard and William Morrisson.
Much of Morrisson’s design and architecture still remains, making it the most significant Elizabethan revival mansion in Ireland. The Orangery, built by William Burn in 1852, houses an interesting collection of marble statues gathered between 1830 and 1850.
Kilruddery features extensive formal gardens, laid out in the 17th century and added to in the 19th century. The beautiful Sylvan Theatre is one of the only outdoor theatres of its kind in Ireland.
Open: Open April to October. See website for opening hours.
Admission: Admission fees apply.